College “mock” interviewing — and learning to tell your story
On Saturday, October 8, representatives of 12 institutions traveled to campus to join a small group of IIT Boeing Scholars for a morning of college “mock”-interviewing. After a discussion about the college interview (what is it? what should one talk about? how?), Scholars were paired with college representatives for two 30-minute “mock” interviews, each of which was followed by a 10-minute conversation in which the college imparted constructive criticism to the student and answered questions. The event concluded with an informal, shared lunch.
Representatives and students really enjoyed their time together, and both groups asked that we offer similar events like this in the future!
Thank you to the following college representatives for taking time out of their Saturday mornings to so generously volunteer:
- Karina Padilla, Ashford University
- Sparkle Hunt, DePaul University
- Karen Full, Kettering University
- Jerry Doyle, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Sheena Enriquez, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Christine Grotzke, Michigan Technological University
- Peter Pitts, Monmouth College
- Aaron Ray, Union College
- Veronica Hauad, University of Chicago
- Andre Phillips, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Danielle Anderson, Washington University in St. Louis
- Scott Williamson (alumni representative), Yale University
Scholars in attendance hail from nine Chicago-area high schools: Hales Franciscan, Jones, Kelly, King, Rich South, St. Ignatius, Thornton Township, Walter Payton, and Whitney Young. For distribution to students who were unable to join us on Saturday — and to future Scholars — we will be producing a college interview tip sheet, complete with suggestions from these attending institutions. Once produced, we will email it out and post it to this site.
Between Saturday’s workshop and today’s Chicago NACAC College Fair at McCormick Place, I feel a little spoiled with how much I’ve been able to see you Scholars since the summer! And of course I look forward to seeing still more of you this Saturday at IIT’s annual Pumpkin Launch!