Thank you for your interest in getting involved with the IIT Boeing Scholars Academy! Each year’s cohort of Scholars is comprised of 100 bright, motivated, and curious high school students who were selected for participation in the Academy because of their outstanding commitment to academics, promise as future leaders, and vision for positively impacting their communities and the world through STEM fields. When you get involved with the IIT Boeing Scholars Academy, you not only help provide these young people with valuable experiences and guidance but also demonstrate your commitment to supporting the development of Chicago’s future leaders and the city at large. You may even inspire students to follow in your footsteps!
We welcome contributions from college students, faculty, professionals, companies and organizations, Scholars’ family members, and others.
Please consider joining us to support our Scholars in one or more of the following ways:
- Become a Project Mentor! As a Project Mentor, you advise a small group of Scholars as they develop a Leadership Grant Project to promote positive change in their communities/schools. Being a Project Mentor is a 10-month commitment (July-April). Click here to learn more.
- Volunteer on a regular basis—a few hours per week or per month! Volunteers help us provide Scholars with more one-on-one and small group guidance and can serve as valuable role models. We especially need volunteers to help run workshops and other events, support students in the college application process, chaperone field trips, and support the staff with organizational and administrative tasks. Click here to learn more!
- Host our Scholars for a tour of your workplace or a job shadow opportunity! All of our Scholars are curious about major/career opportunities available to them, and many will be the first in their family to go to college. Help Scholars find their calling by introducing them to professionals at your jobsite! In 2012 and 2013, Scholars explored opportunities at large companies, small technology start-ups, research labs, architecture firms, community organizations, K-12 schools, and more.
- Lead a workshop or be a guest speaker! Throughout the year, dozens of speakers share their research, professional experience, or personal expertise with our Scholars. We have facilitated events addressing a wide variety of topics; let us know what you have in mind!
- Notify our staff of opportunities that may interest our Scholars! Faculty members have invited our Scholars to apply for research positions in their labs—and many students have been successful in acquiring them! We also bring Scholars to public events organized by groups ranging from Argonne National Laboratory to the Chicago Humanities Festival. We invite your collaboration in making these opportunities and others possible.
Interested? Questions? Other ideas? Contact Katherine Rhee, Program Coordinator: 312.567.3965 or email@example.com.