Home > Best Practices, Blackboard, Tips, Tools > Blackboard User Tip | My Courses list on My Institution page

Blackboard User Tip | My Courses list on My Institution page

If you are a IIT Blackboard user, when you when you log in and land on the My Institution page, you may find an overwhelming list of courses without enough information there to figure out exactly what you are looking at or to get where you want to go.

Presented alphabetically by course name with no indication of term or session, these include not only the courses you are currently teaching, but also all of those archived items you can still access in the LMS.

Thankfully, this can be customized based on your personal preference.  How to do this isn’t that obvious at first glance but the actual process is pretty easy.

To get started , click the small pencil icon in the My Courses area of the page.

My Institution Landing Page

click for larger

On the next page, you will see a list of the courses grouped by your role (e.g., Courses You Are Building, Courses You Are Teaching, etc…).

My Courses | customize display

click for larger

The current IIT default setting is Display the Course Name and Display Announcments.

You can change how Blackboard displays your courses, or hide a course entirely  (for example, archived sessions).

The options are:

• Display Course Name
  • Display Course ID
  • Display Instructors
  • Display Announcements
  • Display Tasks
  • Display Calendar Events

For example, if the current setting was to Display Course Name, you might see Adv Web Site App Development. If you wanted to display the course ID and term as well, you could click Display Course ID, and you would now see ITM-564-01-02.10S: Adv Web Site App Development, which includes the course number and the term. You could hide the title by unchecking the Display Course Name box and then you would see ITM-564-01-02.10S.

A little extra work customizing your My Institution landing page should increase the ease of use here and decrease the guesswork and blind clicking.

Categories: Best Practices, Blackboard, Tips, Tools Tags:
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.