Additional capacity has been added to almost all courses that have full enrollment, and several classes have been moved into larger classrooms to accommodate more students. ITMM 471 and ITMM 571 has had two new sections added, 15855 ITMM 471-03 and 15858 ITMM 571-04, which will allow students to view the course live via video in SB-201. Students waitlisted for ITMM 471 or ITMM 571 should register for these sections instead, as we cannot add any more capacity to the -01 sections. If you are waitlisted for a live class at this point, you can hope someone will drop and you can pick it their seat, but if you have not been notified of a seat being open for you by Friday of next week, you need to register for an alternative class. We cannot add any more capacity to ITM 301, ITM 312, ITMD 456, or ITMO 444-01/544-01.
The Fall 2013 DRAFT ITM Course Schedule matrix is now available for download. This shows ITM live courses as they are currently scheduled. The full Fall 2013 IIT Course Schedule will be live on the Web on Monday, March 25, 2013, and registration will open for selected students on Monday, April 8, 2013.
In addition to the live courses and their corresponding online sections, there will be one online-only topics course on Mainframe Technologies which will include live labs on an IBM mainframe system. A new course for Fall is ITMO 417/ITMO 517, Shell Scripting for System Administration, which will be taught by Sam Shamsuddin. We will also be offering the UNIX sysadmin course, ITMO 452/ITMO 552, and for Grad students specializing in Systems Analysis, MIS and Data Management, Dean Oob Carlson will be teaching ITMT 531 Object Oriented System Analysis, Modeling and Design, a course you DO NOT want to miss out on. Also at the Rice Campus, we will be offering a Monday afternoon session of ITMS 448/ITMS 548 Cyber Security Technologies as well as the usual Wednesday evening section. ITMS 555 Mobile Device Forensics will run at Rice on Monday evenings. ITMS 443/ITMS 543 Vulnerability Analysis and Control (Ethical Hacking) will run on Tuesday evenings at Rice and will also run online with a requirement to attend the first class session live; we’ll work something out for transportation for Main Campus students for that session. Jeremy Hajek will teach ITMT 492 Embedded Systems and Reconfigurable Logic Design on Wednesday afternoons at Rice. At the Main Campus ITMO 456 Intro to Open Source Operating Systems (Linux+) will run as a live lab course on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons; this will be an acceptable substitute for ITM 302 which is not being offered. ITMO 455/ITMO 555 which will cover iOS development this term will run in the Idea Shop on Monday evenings. Noland Joiner, our authority on healthcare IT, will again teach the Introduction to Healthcare IT course on Thursday evenings. This is the prerequisite for a projected four additional graduate-level courses in Healthcare IT, so if you want to take those be sure to grab this class.
We expect to offer a late afternoon Rice Campus bus as well as the early afternoon bus we currently run, so students only doing an evening course at Rice can come out later. We are planning that both of the afternoon buses will also be available for students who want transportation direct to Main Campus from Rice, but there will be no late bus (after 9pm) returning to the Rice Campus.
We know it’s sometimes hard to believe in the depths of a Chicago winter, but summer really will arrive in Chicago later this year. When summer comes, so do summer courses. There’s a PDF file online now of our summer courses at http://www.itm.iit.edu/data/ITM2013SummerCourses.pdf Course descriptions are in the Summer Bulletin, at http://summer.iit.edu/pdfs/2013_summer_courses.pdf . Check them out: we think you find something you’ll really like…
Just a reminder…Friday January 25 is the last day to drop a class for a full refund and to add a class without “issues”.
Here’s what we expect that the ITM program will be offering in the summer of 2013:
- ITM 301 Introduction to Contemporary Operating Systems & Hardware I
- ITM 311 Introduction to Software Development
- ITMD 413 Open Source Programming: Python
- ITMD 455 Intelligent Device Applications: Windows RT Development
- ITMM 470 Fundamentals of Management for Technology Professionals
- ITMM 471 Project Management for Information Technology Management
- ITMM 485 Legal and Ethical Issues in Information Technology
- ITMD 513 Open Source Programming: Python
- ITMS 518 Coding Security
- ITMD 529 Advanced Data Analytics
- ITMD 555 Intelligent Device Applications: Windows RT Development
- ITMM 570 Fundamentals of Management for Technology Professionals
- ITMM 571 Project Management for Information Technology Management
- ITMM 577 Case Studies in the Management of Information Technology
- ITMM 585 Legal and Ethical Issues in Information Technology
All courses will be online except ITM 301; note that ITM 311 is not normally offered online. There may be additional courses but these are courses we have committed to offering; the only way they will not run is if the faculty member scheduled to teach the course is not available.
Here’s more on Spring 2013 course registration, now underway at IIT. Since registration opened, we have added the following courses for Spring 2013:
25900 ITMM 482-01 Business Innovation LEC 3 Thurs 6:25-9:05pm 10 Main WH-315 Praveen Gupta
25901 ITMM 582-01 Business Innovation LEC 3 Thurs 6:25-9:05pm 15 Main WH-315 Praveen Gupta
Also take a look at the Joint Workshop course offered in conjunction with IIT’s world-renowned Institute of Design…
If you have not seen Professor Trygstad for advising, please read the Spring 2013 Advising Notes and make an appointment with him for advising at your earliest opportunity!
If you have attempted without success to register for BUS 221, Professor Twombly from undergraduate business has assured us that he will open the course to non-business majors after Thanksgiving–so hang in there and give it a try then.
For Graduate Students:
Despite the fact that ITMO 547 Projects & Advanced Methods in Telecomm Over Data Networks is shown on the schedule as meeting at Rice Campus Mondays 1:50pm-5:40pm, YOU DON’T HAVE TO COME TO THE RICE CAMPUS ON MONDAYS TO BE IN ITMO 547. It’s a project course and project teams and individuals will meet weekly and decide on which day and which campus they will meet. Please contact Professor Carol Davids if you have ANY questions about this course.
IIT’s Institute of Design (ID) is a world-renowned school of design. ITM professor Alon Friedman is also the Director of Information Technology for ID, and in the Spring 2013 term, he will be conducting a 3-credit-hour joint ITM-ID workshop course with two ID faculty members, Stan Ruecker and Anijo Mathew. The only prerequisites are ITM/ITMD 411 and an eagerness to work with designers to learn the communicational challenges and successful strategies for taking an agile methods approach to the creation of online prototypes of experimental human-computer interfaces. The course is open to both undergraduate and graduate students, and is great opportunity for graduate students to work with an interdisciplinary team in a real-world-style setting.
The workshop will be on Thursdays from 2pm-5:30pm at the Institute of Design, on the 4th floor at 350 North LaSalle Street, Chicago. This is a a 20 minute trip on the Green Line to Clark&Lake with a short, four-block walk to ID.
Email Professor Friedman (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a permit to register for for 3 credit hours in:
25895 ITM 497-135 Special Projects (Undergrads)
25766 ITMT 597-135 Special Problems in IT (Graduate students)
Click “Read More…” for full details and course descriptions: Read more…
The Spring 2013 Course Schedule for IIT will be published on the web on Monday, October 22, 2012. Registration for students with disabilities, athletes, and ROTC Cadets and Midshipmen begins on Friday, November 2, 2012, with tiered registration for all students based on class beginning on Monday, November 5, 2012. Once again, to help with advance course planning, we’ve posted two documents to help folks with course planning: the Spring 2013 DRAFT Course Matrix, which is a quick visual reference of courses offered for Fall 2012, organized by campus (pictured at right) , and a revised full listing of all ITM courses which will tell you what term each course is normally offered in, and if it is offered online.
Some things to note:
- IF you were planning to take ITM 302 at the Rice Campus, please take ITMD 456 Introduction to Open Source Operating Systems (CompTIA Linux+) in its place. We expect a future curriculum change with ITMD 456 replacing the current ITM 302 requirement, and ITMD 456 will be an allowable substitute for ITM 302 for those taking it this term.
- The topic of the ITMT 495 / ITMT 595 Topics in IT course at the Main Campus on Thursday evenings will be Introduction to Health Care IT, taught by Professor Noland Joiner, former VP and CIO of GE Healthcare IT.
- ITMD 412 Advanced Structured and Systems Programming (advanced C++) will run early on Friday evenings (5-7:40pm) at the Rice Campus and will also be online. The prerequisite is ITM 312 and the course will be taught by Associate Professor Sam Shamsuddin.
- IPRO 497-338 will run 2:30 to 5pm on Wednesdays at the Rice Campus, taught by Professor Dan Tomal of the Industrial Technology and Management Program and Associate Professor Jeremy Hajek of ITM. Encourage your friends in other majors to sign up; they can follow it up that evening with ITMD 456 Introduction to Open Source Operating Systems (CompTIA Linux+) or ITMT 492 Embedded Systems and Reconfigurable Logic Design as a free or or technical elective in their major.
The Spring 2013 Course Schedule will be available online on Monday, October 22. Registration for Spring begins Friday, November 2 with the following timeline for the start of registration for each group as indicated:
- Friday Nov. 2: ROTC, athletes, students with disabilities
- Monday Nov. 5: Graduate students and U5 fifth year undergraduates
- Tuesday Nov. 6: U4 fourth year undergraduates
- Wednesday Nov. 7: U3 third year undergraduates
- Thursday Nov. 8: U2 second year undergraduates
- Friday Nov. 9: U1 first year undergraduates and exchange, visiting, and non-degree students
More information on registration will be posted as it is available. In answer to a few questions, this Spring we will be offering ITMD 412 (advanced C++). We will be offering a topics class entitled Introduction to Health Care IT, taught by Professor Noland Joiner, former VP and CIO of GE Healthcare IT; this course will be offered at both the undergraduate and graduate level. We also expect there to be a Monday afternoon IPRO at the Rice Campus. In the summer expect to see a Windows 8 Mobile development course and a Django with Python course.
The new Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletins are now available online! The programs of study and requirements laid out in these books apply to all students who entered IIT for the first time in the fall of 2012. In addition, the revised specializations apply to all students in the program, as it is not uncommon that courses offered in previous versions of the specializations may no longer be available and the specializations in the new editions of the Bulletins are more flexible and offer students more options. By the way, the picture on the cover of the Undergraduate Bulletin is one of the most amazing pictures of the IIT campus and our place in Chicago that I have ever seen. Kudos and hats off to Carol Orze in Undergraduate Academic Affairs and Julia Chase in Graduate Academic Affairs for all of their hard work on these books.
ITM Excerpt from the Undergraduate Bulletin: http://www.itm.iit.edu/data/Undergraduate_Bulletin_2012_2014_ITM_Content.pdf
Graduate Bulletin: http://www.itm.iit.edu/data/graduatebulletin/
ITM Excerpt from the Graduate Bulletin: http://www.itm.iit.edu/data/Graduate_Bulletin_2012_2014_ITM_Content.pdf