Public Safety issued a Campus Alert in lieu of the recent Robberies that occurred on and around campus.
Please take the time to familiarize yourself with the information.
Public Safety strongly encourages you to contact us should you require an escort.
Public Safety remains vigilant in keeping the campus safe.
Please contact us to report any suspicious person(s) or activity.
Thank you and have a safe weekend.
During the past week, three robberies involving IIT students and their iPhones and iPads have occurred on Main Campus. In two of these cases, the offenders approached the students under the guise of borrowing the student’s mobile phone/iPad. The victims gave their devices to the offenders, who then ran away with them.
- Be extremely cautious when approached by strangers, especially if they ask to borrow your personal property. Do not give a stranger your personal property unless you feel your safety is threatened.
- If someone asks to use your phone or strikes up a conversation, say no or ignore them, and continue walking.
- Contact IIT Public Safety at 312.808.6363 (8-6363 on campus) to report any suspicious person(s), vehicle(s), or activities around campus.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you think you are being followed, cross the street, change your direction, or go to a public place where others are present. Avoid talking on a cell phone or wearing headphones when walking alone.
- Contact Public Safety for an escort if you feel uneasy about traveling alone.
Dozens of emergency phones are located throughout Main Campus.
Use these phones to contact IIT Public Safety in the event of an emergency or if you witness suspicious activity.
Public Safety had a petty uneventful week.
Just want to advise that you need to continue to be cognizant of your surroundings.
If you see something report it.
If something doesn’t seem right, report it.
Remember your safety and security is a shared responsibility.
Thank you and have a safe weekend/
Public Safety wants to stress our “Common Approach to Safety”.
This is information that we distribute to all students, faculty and staff.
We have copies of this information at Farr Hall.
We provide useful tips on how to stay safe while on and around campus , on public transportation and while at home.
We are seeing thefts increasing around campus.
Please take the time to familiarize yourself with this useful information.
Stop by Farr Hall and request a copy.
Thank you and have a safe and enjoyable weekend/
I want to thank all of you who attended and participated at Monday’s Public Safety Forum.
A lot of good questions were asked regarding officer’s training and the escort policy.
At the forum I stressed 2 important items.
1. Safeguarding Personal Property.
I asked everyone to take the necessary steps to safeguards their personal property and valuables. I advised that no one should ever leave your valuables unattended for any length of time whether its to use the restroom or leave for lunch. It is a cumbersome task but at least you’ll have piece of mind that valuables are safe.
2. Escort Policy.
In a previous blog, I included the revised Escort policy. Public Safety collects the data for the escorts that we provide. We are seeing an increase in escorts that are traveling west of campus into the Bridgeport area. As such, we have modified our policy to include locations that are within close proximity of campus. Please contact Public Safety should you require an escort.
Finally, Public Safety has a new look around campus. Public Safety recently purchased a new fleet of Dodge Charges for their Patrol. Stop by and take a look.
As always, stay safe and contact Public Safety with any questions, comments or safety requests.