This January, the Climate Corporation hosted Job Shadow events for our GLP Scholars. Climate Corporation presented scholars with unique insights into career pathways, STEM opportunities, and professional networking. Scholar Raymond attended the Job Shadow at the Climate Corporation and shares more about his experience below.

Climate Corporation is ‘a small startup, [and] their work space is really open and clean. The employees are working on a product that tracks the productivity of their farmland, which allows for a more efficient allocation of resources. I saw the entire production process, from design to manufacturing to software. I learned about their departments, which include product management, embedded engineering, and software engineering. Because the company is so small, everyone has an immediate role in the creation of their Drive product. This certainly has its merits when compared to working for a large company, where employees may be working repetitively on minute details. I also enjoyed the company culture – everyone knows each other. They have a fridge with tons of drinks, a cozy library, and even a ping pong table!

I got to see the MechE/Industrial Design lab with 3d printers and maker-bots; that job looks really fun! Before the job shadow, I was considering a career in software development. However, that job didn’t really appeal to me during the tour. I was actually captivated by the mechanical engineering guys. I was able to grasp the satisfaction of holding a product in your hand and also the challenge of design (according to them, every day is different). Overall, the experience was very eye-opening and I would love to get the chance to tour other companies.’

GLP Job Shadow Day: The Climate Corporation